The Middle is a position somewhere in between physical reality and the world of ideas. It is also a dwelling space somewhere in between the personal and the political. But most importantly, it is a very concrete place in geographical terms. The Middle Kingdom, China - known for being the greatest dictatorship in the world - is the main topic of discussion in this forum. Ironically, if published in the Middle Kingdom, this blog would most likely have been forbidden.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Dragons, gorillas and cowboys


Ang Lee has done it again. Directed a great movie, that is. And the Taiwanese director finally got the Oscar he so well deserves. Lee has gracefully swept through the genres with some of my personal all-time favorites: Taiwanese culture indulgences such as "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman" and "The Wedding Banquet", the American 70s low-key satirical drama "The Ice Storm", epic Chinese tale "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", and now the cowboy love story above all; "Brokeback Mountain".

"The Ice Storm" still stands out as my own favorite. Not surprisingly, it did not draw nearly as large crowds as the more action-packed Chinese martial arts movie. Considering his broad repertoire so far (he also directed The Hulk in 2003 although I choose to disregard this blunder...), wonder where Lee will end up next. I am sure he has a futuristic vein somewhere - combined with his passion for tragedy, perhaps it is time for a dystopian tale of the future? I am already standing in line for the tickets...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward already to you bringing those movies back on Low Quality camcorded DVDs. We'll have a cosy time with turkish gingersnacks over at youres.

1:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yepp!
From reading the blogg I get the impression that you have seen brokeback mountain, have you? Personally I have a hard time enjoying a love story between a man and a man, i guess thats because I cannot quite connect to the characters. But what was so special about the movie, the scenery or just the fact that the love story involved two men (and on top of that, cowboys!)?

10:41 PM

 
Blogger Marlene in Haiti said...

2 cowboys: Looking forward to it as well!

Cowboy Nr 2:
Regarding Brokeback Mountain - yes, I have seen it, and I did think it was a great movie. I suppose for me, whether or not I "connect" or identify with the characters is not as crucial - in that case I would not be able to enjoy movies that were about anything other than Swedish, Christian, heterosexual, feminist, politically active young women ;-) Seriously, I see what you mean but I think other things are more important to me.

I really appreciate how Lee tells his stories - subtly, slowly letting the plot evolve...and the dialogue between the two main characters was truly brilliant. The acting was impressive, to say the least. And even if you do not identify with the characters in their sexuality, I think that there is a broader theme which appealed to me a lot: how a person's inner struggles can be even more destructive than his struggles against society.

6:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home